Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Thankful Thursdays: Taking Chances

This weekend I went to Rapids water park where I came face to face with their ride called the Black Thunder.

I must admit I am a little bit afraid of heights so as I climbed the set of stairs whose final destination seemed to be the clouds, I couldn't help but get a little weak in the knees.

When I finally reached the top I was no longer consumed by the fear of the height, but rather was now feeling weak in the pit of the stomach as I glanced at the pitch black toboggan and its deep drop that I was about to face.

I knew there was no way I would go back the way that I came because it meant going down the stairs and staring at the abyss below, so down the pitch black tube it was.

The anticipation had me shaking in my flip flops and I was truly scared as my heart continued to race 1000 beats per minute. I kept thinking, "What the heck did I get myself into?"

As the sun-kissed life guard pushed us closer to the edge, I grabbed on to the small security harnesses on the sides of the raft, for dear life and then after one final push there we went.

We were twisting, turning, screaming, but halfway down I began to have fun, and enjoy the ride. I had no idea where we were going or what was going to happen next but I was having a blast!

As we approached the end, I could finally see the light at the end of the tunnel, but by then it didn't matter. I was thrilled that I took the chance to try something new and face my fears.

It was then that it dawned on me, sometimes we let fear hold us back from making changes or taking chances, but when you get the courage to follow your heart, it turns out there was nothing to fear after all.

"Most of our days are spent in fear of heartaches, but when faced with the inevitable we suddenly realize that we are much stronger than we thought we’d be. So don’t fear but rather live freely and enjoy the essence of life’s beauty in all that you do.... Live, Laugh, Cry, Dream, and Love without condition."--- me

No comments:

Post a Comment